Thursday 7 September 2017

7 year old's First Quilt finish

My 7 year old Granddaughter was very keen to make a little quilt so during the summer holiday she made this dolly quilt with my help:


I tipped out my box of 2.5" squares and she chose 20 and arranged them in a 4 x 5 pattern.
I was surprised which colours and fabrics she picked - I thought she would go for pinks and lilacs and was amazed at the ones she chose, especially the black tone on tone one and the white daisy on a navy background ( she liked that so much she added 3 of those!).

I showed her the basics of the machine and she operated the footpad whilst I guided the fabric. She managed really well. Border and backing fabrics were chosen from a more restricted selection from my larger pieces stash. Again she surprised me as she immediately wanted the borders and backing to be the same fabric. She chose the binding from the same selection.  We put the borders on together in the same way as we sewed the squares and rows together - I helped her pin the rows and showed her how they nested.

After I sandwiched the top, batting and backing she chose buttons from my button box and we drew a chart so she knew which button she wanted where on the quilt.  Then she learned how to sew on buttons, took quite a time, in several short bursts over several days but she did it. I trimmed and sewed on the binding and showed her how to hand stitch the binding down.  She found this very tedious and so I finished it off for her. I didn't want to put her off sewing by being pedantic about completing the project.

I have embroidered a label detailing her name, made with Granny and Summer 2017. 
This afternoon I am collecting her from school so I will hand it over to her then.  I hope she is as pleased and excited as I am about finishing her First Quilt!

2 comments:

  1. how good to have made this with you GD I can see she will make a great quilter like her Granny. Such a sweet doll quilt. Maybe we will see a quilt at FOQ in the children`s section in the next year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story. I'm sure she will love the finished quilt. Could be more sewing projects in the near future..

    ReplyDelete