Friday 17 February 2017

Orphans no more!

I have had a busy week on the sewing front, including 2 Patchwork group meetings ( one with each of the groups I belong to here in NZ).

I put into practice my idea to use the 5 "mistake" orphan string blocks, trimmed them down to 4.5" and turned them into QAYG star blocks, finishing at 12.5".

These are for Adrienne's Block Drive ( On the windy side blog), so she can make Children's Quilts which will be sent to Kaikoura for children affected by the November earthquake.


Not a great photo, doesn't really show up the colours and the Perle stitching.

My favourite block is this one:

 
I was also pleased with how the yellow string square showed up in the star block.  It hadn't worked as I had intended - hence being relegated to "Orphan block" status.
But as the centre of a star I think it works well.


Thanks to Jo's contribution of extra 2.5" squares I was able to make another 16 Twinkler blocks:



That takes my total of Twinklers to 61.  These will go home to the UK with me and then I'll probably need to sew more of them so I can eventually make a quilt for the Siblings Together charity.
Haven't worked out the maths yet as the quilt size requested is a minimum of 50" square.

I have also made a Premature baby quilt for our NZ local hospital but that will be in another post when I have finished hand sewing the binding,

So I feel I have had a productive week and enjoyed the company of fellow quilters too.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made so many twinkles blocks out of my scraps. Love how you did the hand quilting with perle thread. Sounds like a good time sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. The star blocks look beautiful! I love how you used the string centers and the perle thread quilting adds a wonderful accent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a good idea to convert the strip blocks into stars it works so very well and love that you have some hand quilting on them. Twinkler blocks are twinkling too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How kind of Jo to send over some of her scraps - things like that help keep the quilting world go round! YOur twinles blocks are looking lovely. Thank you for the link to Adrienne's block drive too - I hadn't caught up with her post about it and had wondered if there would be anything happening of this sort...also for the CHch fire victims too. Your donation blocks are gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete