Friday 16 January 2015

First Quilt finish for 2015

I have just finished hand sewing the binding on a baby quilt.
My first Quilt finish for 2015.

My daughter asked me to make a quilt for a friend who is expecting a baby in about a month's time.  The parents know it is a boy and my daughter loves Overall Bills so they had to be part of the design. DD hand blanket stitched a few of the blocks but the design, fabric choices etc were my ideas.  The parents lived in Australia for some years so as I had a small piece of Koala bear fabric I included that as the centre block.  My intention was to have Overall Bills walking in different directions throughout the quilt as if they were seeking the koalas.

Finding Koalas
 


The quilt is vibrant, much brighter colours than in my photograph.

I pieced the backing, using some of the fabrics used in the quilt front.

The pieced backing:
  
 
The Overall Bills were hand blanket stitched and I echo quilted with Perle cotton around each appliqued figure.  Otherwise the quilt was machine quilted.

I used two of the Pearl bracelet fabrics I won last year in a Giveaway - almost nothing of those two pieces are left!  Lots of small scraps were used to make the Overall Bills.  Everything in this quilt came from my stash......... nothing extra was bought at all.  Just how I like it!




Passing it on to my DD this weekend, so she has it ready for when baby puts in an appearance.
 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a cute quilt. I love the way the Overall Bills are looking for koalas. It's great to see the bracelets used, and they look perfect for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great feeling to make a quilt out of stash. It's a cute baby quilt. Koalas are a nice touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rachael and Jo. I was pleased to add the koalas(I love koalas and have fond memories of seeing them near Melbourne, probably 10 years ago). Only a small scrap of it left now but it's been in my stash for years, often not used because the colours are quite dull and often haven't worked with other fabrics. Strangely it look OK in the centre of the quilt surrounded by blocks of bright oranges, yellows, lime and aqua.

    ReplyDelete