Saturday 7 June 2014

Poppies for Remembrance

Yesterday was a very important day in our country's calendar. 
6th June 2014 was the 70th Anniversary of the Normandy Landings, also known as D-Day, when the Allied invasion of Normandy during WWII began.  This eventually lead to the end of the war and meant that my generation was able to grow up in a peaceful Britain.  We owe everything we hold dear to those gallant men who fought and, in many cases, died that we could be free.

 
My newly planted pot by our front porch was appropriately flowering yesterday, in time for those celebrations.
 
On the sewing front there has been a little hand blanket stitching taking place during our few days away in Kent.  Whilst we were resting before dinner I managed to do a few more stitches and completed almost three of the seventeen Sunbonnet Sue blocks I need for the baby quilt I am currently making.
 
Here they are:
 


I love hand sewing so this is not a chore, although I do need to get a move on with these blocks now and start to put the top together.  I will be hand quilting it too so lots to do and the baby this is intended for is due this month. No pressure there then!

I have been continuing to admire Alison's QAYG quilts for her Soy Amado Project.
Each one is completely different and she has now finished 35 quilts!  Alison turns these quilts out so rapidly it just amazes me.  If you haven't seen her quilts, do take a look at her blog: littleislandquilting.blogspot.co.uk

I have 5 blocks ready to send and one more I want to complete before I post them to Alison.

Off to do more blanket stitching!
 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poppies. They are one of my favourite flowers, they come in such beautiful colours. Your sun bonnet sue blocks are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete