Tuesday 21 May 2013

Malvern Show 2013

I had a great day on Saturday, visiting the Malvern Quilt Show with a group of quilters from my area.
Malvern is a great show as it is not too big and easy to get round all the quilts on display and check out all the traders, all in one day.

My favourite quilt of the whole show was this one:

 
 
Does my bum look big in this?
By Belinda Bajai, Rhondda, Mid Glamorgan
 
Just brilliant!  The zebras were so lifelike and I loved the perspective in the quilt.  They looked as though they were walking into the distance.
And a close-up of one of them:
 
 
 
Another quilt that I thought was amazing was this one:
 



 
It was called Friendship Quilt and made by Juliet Nelmes of Weston-Super-Mare
The hexagons were TINY! I would think they started as 1" and in the centre of each minute white hexagon Juliet had embroidered a white French knot as the quilting.  All exactly the same size and so perfect you would think they had been done by machine.
Quite unbelievable.  It had everyone gazing at it in awe and getting close up to examine the tiny hexagons.

 
and
 

are Close-ups of a marvellous foundation pieced quilt by Judith Wilson, Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire.
It was called On Green Pond and had a wonderful border of appliqued birds made from the leftovers of the batik jelly roll Judith used for the pond centre.

Many lovely quilts, all beautifully made.

One last fun Wall hanging to finish:

 
Aboriginal Animal Antics

Made by Lesley Davies, Par, Cornwall for her grandson who had requested a hanging for his room to remind him of his Australian holiday.  It has a wonderful feel of Aboriginal art. 

I was very restrained on the buying front.  I bought a piece of novelty fabric which I hope will be just right for the backing of a quilt I am currently putting together for my granddaughter.  She loves her scooter, ballet lessons and enjoys wearing fairy wings and dancing round the living room and is keen to learn how to skip with a rope so I thought this fabric was perfect:

 
So, this was what I bought on Saturday:
2.5 metres of pink girly fabric (the last on the roll), 1 metre of grey fabric with pink spots which I will probably use for bindings and a reel of variegated thread I can use for hand quilting.
 
 

A happy day spent doing one of my favourite things...................... gazing at quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment